Vision Australia is a leading national provider of blindness and low vision services in Australia. We work in partnership with Australians who are blind or have low vision to help them achieve the possibilities they choose in life.
We support more than 25,500 people of all ages and life stages, and circumstances. We do this through 35 Vision Australia centres in Victoria, New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia; and through outreach programs in the Northern Territory and Tasmania.
We are a not-for-profit organisation and a major participant and partner in the international blindness community.
Vision Australia’s Geelong recreational program, which is based in Belmont, is looking for volunteers to join its friendly team. This role involves assisting clients to participate in craft/art, news and views discussion groups, quizzes and games and other activities.
Tasks may include:
• facilitate, plan, implement and deliver group activities (on a regular basis or as required) to support organisation related initiatives, programs or groups
• guide or be the “discussion leader for groups/ or meetings to encourage participants to take the reign - a facilitator's job is to get others to assume responsibility and take the lead
• perform hospitality duties by preparing food or refreshments and servicing individuals to ensure requirements and demands are met in a timely and polite manner
• be required to attend meetings that assist with planning and information provision
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
The volunteer demonstrates:
• Attention to detail • Interpersonal skills
• Teamwork • Visual translation skills • Working with people who are blind or have low vision DESIRABLE SKILLS (NOT ESSENTIAL) The volunteer may have abilities in: • Administration skills • Customer service skills • Emotional support • Event coordination skills • Good written skills and fluent English speaking • Manual handling skills • Money handling • Time management skills • Leadership skills • Working with minimal supervision
This is a wonderful opportunity for those looking to volunteer in a role where their contribution is valued and immediate. The group, clients and volunteers alike, are friendly and sociable and your role will be well supported.