The volunteer will:
• conduct role specific duties of a Puppy Carer:
• Provide lots of loving care and socialisation to a puppy
• Not leave the pup alone, or with someone else for more than 3.5 hours a day.
• Provide a warm and safe inside space where the puppy can sleep • Be available to meet with the Puppy Development training staff and the puppy for regular 1-2 hour visits during business hours This may be a mix of online and face-to-face appointments, starting at weekly intervals and extending out to monthly as the pup gets older) • Be moderately physically fit and emotionally able to walk a puppy on a daily basis. E.g. Taking the dog for regular walks, shopping centre visits, to cafés, on public transport, on socialisation trips and toileting • Notify their Puppy Development Trainer if they become injured or are unable to care for the dog due to medical reasons. Medical clearance may be required in order to recommence with the program. • Have completed a reference and background check including a police check and working with children check, and maintaining up to date compliance of these checks throughout the duration of volunteering with the program.
• Have not been convicted of animal cruelty in Australia or elsewhere • Reach puppies basic obedience, toilet training, house manners and to walk on lead in a calm and relaxed manner under the guidance of a supervisor • Follow all directives and recommendations from the Puppy Development and other SED staff. • Supervise puppies to ensure their safety in the puppy play pen (event specific) • Clean up after puppies using equipment provided • Able to transport the dog to various locations as required • Report back to your Puppy Development Trainer any pertinent information regarding the dog in care • Keep the puppy in ideal physical condition, and up to date with vaccination and worming treatments.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE • Be patient, dedicated and flexible • Willing and able to follow instructions • Dog handling skills (enjoys working with dogs) • Interpersonal and communication skills • Fluent English speaking
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS • Once the application form has been returned, complete the following; • External Risk Assessment Form • Blue card • Police check • Statutory Declaration *If required • Interview & Property Inspection. • If approved, when puppy is handed over to volunteer, an agreement must be signed between staff member of SED and volunteer.
Sunshine Coast region:
Buderim, Mountain Creek, Caloundra, Maroochydore, Noosa Area, Maleny, Pelican Waters, Little Mountain, Glass House Mountains, Mooloolaba, Minyama, Coolum Beach,
Bli Bli, Sippy Downs, Currimmundi, Palmview, Landsborough, Beerwah, Beerburrum.
Northern suburbs, Brisbane North Lakes, Caboolture, Burpengary, Narangba, Sandgate, Bald Hills, Carseldine, Aspley, Deception Bay, Morayfield, Mango Hill, Margate, Kippa Ring, Scarborough, Kallangur, Clontarf, Redcliffe, Bracken Ridge