Legacy is a not for profit organisation which provides support services to the families of veterans who gave their lives or their health. Many of the people we support, particularly our older widows and widowers, become stressed by dealing with grief and loneliness.
This can lead to a lack of interaction with others and compounding feelings of hopelessness and despair. Widows and widowers who live alone at home may have restricted mobility are most likely to suffer from social isolation.
We are seeking volunteer support to socialise with our much loved war widow beneficiaries within the comfort of their own homes. Depending on your availability we will need you roughly 2 – 3 times per month.
The following skills are highly desirable:
• Show empathy for the mature aged, disadvantaged and socially isolated clients
• At ease working independently
• Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds
• A commitment to visit for a minimum of 6-12 months
The role is located across the Greater Sydney area and will take place on weekday hours between 9:00am - 4:00pm. All travel costs will be reimbursed.
• Role responsibilities: Visit the participant at least once per fortnight
• Undertake friendly social conversation and other activities that are appropriate to the participant. This may include listening to music together, playing cards or board games, reminiscing or simply having a chat
• Maintain regular communication with the Legacy Coordinator to discuss your visits and any concerns that may arise
• Attend orientation and ongoing training as required
• Record and submit notes to the Legacy Coordinator after each visit or end of week
• Respect the rights of participants to confidentiality and privacy
This volunteering opportunity is available in these areas:
• South East Metro Areas (St George, western suburbs, Inner suburbs, eastern region)
• South West Metro Areas (Bankstown, Macarthur, Campbelltown)
• North west Metro Areas (Parramatta, Hawksbury, Nepean, Blue Mountains)
• North East Metro Areas (Northern Beaches, Mosman, Hornsby, Ryde-Eastwood, Lane cove)