Position Purpose: SisterWorks is a partner of UN Women to deliver the UN Women’ Second Chance Education pilot project in Australia. SisterWorks provides training programs to the most vulnerable women with little English of Refugee and migrant backgrounds. As a Sewing Teacher Volunteer, you will be providing a sewing training programme SisterWorks in Bendigo, empowering migrant and refugee women by coordinating their sewing classes and teaching new skills.
- Prepare and conduct training online with the training programme and teacher’s guide prepared by SisterWorks.
- Support SisterWorks Empowerment Hub to develop an intermediate/advanced sewing training programme.
- Welcoming Sisters, encouraging them to know each other and ensuring they have a positive experience during the training
- Use available SisterWorks tools, such as videos and games, to provide training
- Set up the activity, selecting necessary machines, tools and materials for the day specified in the training programme.
- Check the sewing level of each participant and plan and adjust their training as required.
- Work in a team with other teachers, organizing activities and sharing responsibilities.
Desired experience and qualifications:
- Has good sewing and crafting skills.
- Ability to conduct a class.
- Ability to follow programme instructions and guidance per SisterWorks syllabus material.
- Prior experience working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to lead activities and teach others
- Good listening and observation
- Good organization skills
- Capacity to work as part of a team
This role is best suited to someone
- with a good command of spoken and written English
- is confident working with women of varied cultural backgrounds and limited English skills;
- has a warm and inviting personality
- Current Working with Children Check and/or Police Check (if you do not have one, you can apply for one free of cost)